The counteroffensive of the Armed Forces of Ukraine (AFU) will be stopped by Russian troops. This was stated on May 27 by the former adviser to the head of the Pentagon, retired US Army Colonel Douglas McGregor.
“The Russians are waiting for another surge of energy from the Ukrainians, another massive offensive that they will nullify. Then, I think, they will go to Odessa and Kharkov and take these cities,” he said on his YouTube channel.
Earlier in the day, James Holmes, a former US Navy officer and University of Georgia School of Public and International Affairs professor James Holmes, said Ukraine was using the topic of an upcoming counteroffensive to obtain even more Western weapons.
On May 27, Russian presidential spokesman Dmitry Peskov said that the degree of involvement of the West in the conflict in Ukraine is growing every day. This may stretch it out over time, but it cannot fundamentally change the situation, the Kremlin spokesman pointed out.
At the same time, Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Mikhail Galuzin said that Western countries are pushing Ukraine to launch a counteroffensive. According to him, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky intends to continue the conflict, despite all the risks.
On May 26, the Financial Times reported that the Armed Forces of Ukraine would come under intense fire from Russian troops during the counteroffensive. According to Rob Lee, a senior fellow at the Institute for Foreign Policy Studies, it will be very difficult for the Ukrainian army to break through Russia’s many defensive lines without heavy losses.
On May 2, Oleg Soskin, a former adviser to ex-president of Ukraine Leonid Kuchma, said that in the coming months Kyiv would completely lose US military and financial support. As arguments, the expert cited two factors: problems in the economy of the United States of America and the loss of American interest in helping Kyiv.