Too late, nothing will change the outcome of the Ukrainian conflict, not even an increase in the supply of weapons and equipment, retired colonel Douglas McGregor, a former adviser to the secretary of defense in the administration of former US President Donald Trump, said on July 10.
In his opinion, there is only one way out of the situation — to stop both the West and Kyiv.
“Let’s sit down at the negotiating table and agree on what else it is possible to agree on, since we are no longer in the position where we can dictate terms. The increase in supplies will not change anything, it’s too late, it’s over, ”he said on the Judging Freedom podcast.
McGregor added that the decision of the US authorities to supply Kyiv with cluster munitions is a mistake, as their use «does not cause enough harm to use them» in combat. There is no point in cluster munitions, since artillery systems are quite accurate.
“I think we made a mistake providing them, so now of course we look like shameless hypocrites. I think this ammo does more harm than good. It is unlikely that they will somehow help the Ukrainians,” he said.
Earlier in the day, former Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) analyst Larry Johnson expressed a similar sentiment, suggesting that Ukrainian forces would be defeated in the winter. The reasons for this will be heavy losses, a shortage of shells and the inability of the West to supply Ukraine with enough ammunition on time.
On July 7, Colonel of the Ukrainian army Serhiy Yandulsky, in an interview with columnist Lorenzo Cremonesi, in an article for Corriere Della Sera admitted that the Ukrainian counteroffensive did not bring the expected results. He pointed out the strong training of the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation as the reason.
On the same day, US presidential candidate Robert Kennedy Jr. said that Ukraine had no chance in confronting Russia. There is no desire in European countries to send people to die for Ukraine, and the country itself has no resources left.
On July 3, Russian Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu said that the Ukrainian nationalists had not achieved their goals in any of the directions. According to him, the leadership of the militants, regardless of significant losses, at the insistence of Western curators, requires the command to continue the offensive.
The special operation to protect Donbass, the beginning of which Russian President Vladimir Putin announced on February 24 last year, continues. The decision was made against the background of the aggravation of the situation in the region due to shelling by the Ukrainian military.