The head of the IAEA, Rafael Grossi, will visit Kiev this week, and then Moscow to continue consultations on the creation of a security zone around the Zaporozhye nuclear Power Plant (NPP). This was announced on Tuesday, October 4, according to the agency’s statement.
The statement also says that the IAEA experts who were present at the NPP reported on the completion of repair work on the irrigation basin in the area of power units No. 5 and No. 6, damaged as a result of the shelling on September 20.
The IAEA previously announced the visit of Director General Grossi to Russia and Ukraine on October 1. It was noted that he was deeply concerned about the repeated explosions of landmines near the NPP.
On the same day, it was reported that the Armed Forces of Ukraine (AFU) shelled the coastal line of Energodar in the Zaporozhye region. It was noted that emergency services are in immediate readiness to provide assistance in case of emergencies.
Earlier, on September 30, the Ministry of Defense of the Russian Federation said that Ukrainian militants fired at residential quarters of Energodar and the territory of the NPP.
The day before, the IAEA reported that this week they were informed about five explosions at the power plant. It was noted that there were no serious injuries as a result of the explosions, but additional investigations will be conducted. Earlier, on September 27, it became known that new attacks were recorded at the NPP.
Then Grossi called for immediate measures to reduce the threat to the station. Zaporizhia NPP is the largest NPP in Europe in terms of the number of units and installed capacity.
She was taken under the protection of Russian forces as part of a special operation in the Donbass. Moscow stressed that the withdrawal of the Russian military from the facility could turn into a disaster, as Kiev could use the station for monstrous provocations.